Culinary Arts Program Overview
While earning a B.Sc in Culinary Arts, you will develop advanced culinary skills that will prove invaluable in the workplace and forge a promising career post-graduation with practical restaurant experience and in-depth knowledge of the various cuisines of world cultures.
While earning your Bachelor’s in Culinary Arts you will learn firsthand how to plan, build, promote, and run a flourishing culinary business, as our curriculum hones in on the necessary business savvy needed in the modern food and restaurant industries. With the strong general education foundation at Chitkara College you will also gain critical computer and communication skills that are vital to success no matter what field you enter.
Open up a broad array of career options with our B.Sc degree in Culinary Arts program. While a student at Chitkara University,we will help you acquire:
- Fundamental and advanced cooking skills that will prepare you for fine-dining kitchens and a variety of foodservice operations
- Business savvy in financial, marketing, and personnel subjects that will allow you to confidently run and maintain a food-related business
- In-depth knowledge of international cuisine that will equip you with an intimate understanding of Indian, Asian, and other types of cuisines
- A solid foundation of general education that will enhance your communication and problem solving skills needed to succeed as a working professional
- Real-world experience through internships at local, national, and international restaurants and establishments
Whether your passion for food includes starting a new career, or advancing in your current one, a degree from Chitkara University can help make all the difference.
The culinary arts curriculum at Chitkara School of Culinary Arts is designed to give you an exhaustive knowledge of the skills necessary to build a successful culinary career. No matter which degree you choose, you will be armed with expertise and experience in our innovative and practical culinary courses.
Some of the important courses in curriculum would be
- Intro to Professional Cookery – Master chefs in training must first learn the fundamentals of culinary preparation. Students will learn essential knife skills, delve into the topic of food safety, and cultivate a refined palate to detect subtle nuances and shifts in taste. Seasonings, food pairings and other applicable skills are taught in this introductory class.
- Intro to Stocks, Sauces and Soups – The application and implementation of sauces into your cuisine is truly an art. In this course students are immersed in global sauces to discover the range of salsas, oils, chutneys, relishes, dressings and oils at their disposal. Soups and bisques are also explored in this first-year course.
- Breakfast Production – The “most important meal of the day” accounts for over 30% of meals eaten in a restaurant. Prepare for the professional kitchen by mastering crêpe preparation, egg cookery and soufflé technique. Expand your knowledge of grains and legumes, and discover breakfast meat alternatives and best griddle practices.
- Fine Dining Service – Fine dining relies on proper presentation and etiquette in a fast-paced, demanding environment. This class teaches fine dining techniques and outlines wine service, tableside cooking and salesmanship in a fine dining atmosphere. The culinary arts curriculum at Chitkara teaches skillsets like fine dining service to create prepared professionals.
- Introduction to Beer, Wine and Spirits: Through an introduction of grape varietals you’ll explore the full wine spectrum to develop keen food pairings in the restaurant setting. Learn about responsible alcohol service and how to identify and produce spirits and beer. This course demonstrates several beverage service methods and educates students on the legal aspects of serving alcohol in the foodservice industry.