While an MBA degree nurtures the abilities to solve tactical business problems, it requires a PhD degree to develop a deep understanding of diverse unforeseen business problems that need research-oriented solutions. This doctoral program at Chitkara University is different from a traditional PhD in management as it is uniquely designed for working executives. Through a doctoral program, executives can foster their ability to explore, understand, and solve the problems and issues in the contemporary business world in rigorous and relevant ways. Further, it can enable them to contribute to the management science theory and practice by researching such problems and issues and can provide real insights. Thus, it will also help an organisation to follow the right paths.
Earning a doctoral degree in management empowers executives to:
- Cultivate new expertise
- Explore innovative concepts
- Acquire theoretical knowledge
- Develop analytical skills
Exploring innovative ideas with other experienced professionals guided by a renowned research faculty enables
- Expand managerial perspectives
- Launch an academic career
- Initiate a consulting practice
- Enhance professional networks
The mission of our doctoral program is to enable successful business managers and professionals to either extend their business careers or pursue academic careers by infusing theoretical knowledge of conceptualized business issues and developing research skills. This program will enable executives, entrepreneurs, academicians, and defence personnel to analyse the dynamic situations, find out the different solutions, and implement the best workable solutions to complex managerial issues.
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
EXPERTISE ACROSS A WIDE RANGE OF DISCIPLINES
The objectives of our Doctoral Program in Management are to enable students to:
Applicants can choose from various academic areas and focus on particular research agendas of their interest that are directly relevant to their businesses/organisations.
The inclusive curriculum provides students with the state-of-the-art methodologies needed to become intellectual leaders.
COMMITTED AND COLLABORATIVE ENVIRONMENT
Chitkara University is a home of committed and expert faculty with unmatched research experience across a wide range of disciplines. During your PhD, you will partner with your designated academic supervisor(s) who will not merely facilitate your research but also guide you to publish the research work in top-tier journals. Scholars are encouraged and supported to attend globally recognized workshops and present their research in reputable international conferences and symposiums.
DOCTORAL PROGRAM CONCENTRATION IN HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT+
The areas of interest in Human Resource Management are given below. These areas of research in the domain are indicative but not limited to the following:
- Strategic Human Resource Management
- Organisational Behaviour
- Employee Relations
- Labor Disputes and Resolutions
- Employment Law
- Talent Management and Leadership
- Responsible and Sustainable Human Resource Management
- Future Trends in Human Resource Management
- Learning and Development
- Human Capital Management
- International Human Resource Management
- Organisational Culture
- Rewards and Performance Management
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Organisational Change and its Implications on Human Resource Management
- Human Resource Analytics
DOCTORAL PROGRAM CONCENTRATION IN MARKETING+
The areas of interest in Marketing are given below. These areas of research in the domain are indicative but not limited to the following:
- Consumer Buying Behaviour
- Customer Relationship Management
- Sales Management
- Marketing Research
- New Product Planning and Development
- Strategic Marketing Planning
- Business to Business Marketing
- International Marketing
- Interactive and Direct Marketing
- Service Marketing
- Digital Marketing
- Product and Brand Management
- Advertising and Sales Promotion
DOCTORAL PROGRAM CONCENTRATION IN FINANCE +
The areas of interest in Finance are given below. These areas of research in the domain are indicative but not limited to the following:
- Public Finance
- Behavioural Finance
- Corporate Finance
- Climate Finance
- Entrepreneurial Finance
- Financial Markets
- Fund Management
- Distribution Forecasting with Financial Applications
- Corporate Governance
- Financial Economics
- Portfolio Optimization
- Asset Management
- Asset Pricing
- Risk Management and Analysis
- Regulation of Financial Markets and Institutions
DOCTORAL PROGRAM CONCENTRATION IN CORPORATE STRATEGY AND POLICY+
The areas of interest in Corporate Strategy and Policy are given below. These areas of research in the domain are indicative but not limited to the following:
- Organisational Policies
- Business Environment
- Social Responsibility into Corporate Strategy
- Cooperative Strategy Partnerships
- Knowledge Creation and Management
- Strategic Resource Allocations
- Strategic Human Resources Management
- Leadership, Creativity, and Social Responsibility
- Business Ethics
- E-Business Strategy
DOCTORAL PROGRAM CONCENTRATION IN SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT+
The areas of interest in Supply Chain Management are given below. These areas of research in the domain are indicative but not limited to the following:
- Demand Forecasting
- Supply Chain Innovation
- E-supply chains
- Lean and Agile Supply Chain
- Logistics Management
- Production and Distribution Planning
- Industry 4.0
- Reverse and Closed Loop Supply Chains
- Supply Chain Risk Management
- Performance Measurement
- Value Chain Analysis
DOCTORAL PROGRAM CONCENTRATION IN BUSINESS SUSTAINABILITY +
The areas of interest in Business Sustainability are given below. These areas of research in the domain are indicative but not limited to the following:
- Environmental Management Systems
- Recycling and Waste Management
- Sustainability in Tourism
- Sustainability in Healthcare
- Sustainable Transportation
- Industrial Development and Sustainability
- Impact of Safety, Security and Disaster Management on Sustainability
- Unsustainable Production and Consumption patterns
- Social Aspects of Sustainability
- Sustainable Resources Utilization
- Green Purchasing and Eco-Design
- Measuring and Monitoring Sustainability
- Ethical Aspects of Sustainable Development
- Impact of Globalization of Business on Local, National and Regional Sustainability and Stability
DOCTORAL PROGRAM CONCENTRATION IN INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY +
The areas of interest in Information Science and Technology are given below. These areas of research in the domain are indicative but not limited to the following:
- Information Flow and Communication
- Information Processing and Management
- Information Seeking Behaviours
- Economic Impact of Information and Knowledge
- Information and Knowledge Policy Formulation
- Content and Knowledge Management
- Information Technology
- Big Data in Business
- Social Media Business
- Legal and Political Issues Relating to Information
- Information System Developments and Evaluation Business Intelligence
- Technology Acceptance Models
The area of specialisations is not exclusive to above and other topics promoting interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research are also welcomed.
PROFESSIONALS FROM THE FOLLOWING COMPANIES HAVE JOINED OUR PROGRAM SO FAR
CAPITALIZE ON THE COMPREHENSIVE CURRICULUM
The Doctor of Philosophy in Management curriculum consists of course work that includes four core courses followed by submission and approval of the research proposal. This is followed by periodic progress review seminars leading to the submission and defense of the final thesis.
PROGRESS REVIEW SEMINAR
The seminars track progress of the scholar as per the timelines mentioned in the approved research proposal. These are to be held once every six months after approval of Research Proposal. A minimum of three such PRS are held by the University with intensive scrutiny by the Doctoral Research Committee. The final progress seminar is a Pre-Thesis Seminar which shall demonstrate achievement of all research objectives upon the production of a draft thesis.
The scholars are expected to write at least one well researched article and publish it in international/national
referred journals approved by the University before completion of their study. The scholars are also required to
present their research work in at least two academic conferences in India or abroad with the approval of the
Doctoral Research Committee.
FRAMEWORK FOR PhD PROGRAM
DELIVERABLE - 1+
Submission of Application form
Please fill out the attached application form
DELIVERABLE - 2+
Acceptance by Chitkara Business School
After acceptance of the form, the admission process will be as follows
- Written test
- Personal Interview
The syllabus of written test will be communicated to you via e-mail.
DELIVERABLE - 3+
Selection for Doctoral program
Once you are short-listed, after qualifying in written test and personal interview round, as per the merit for the PhD program at Chitkara University, you would need to proceed towards registration and commencement of your course work.
DELIVERABLE - 4+
Course work requirement (One Semester)
Every candidate should complete four courses before working on Doctoral Dissertation. Every course will be held twice in a year and will be scheduled on the weekends. Course work dates for the year will be announced ahead of schedule so that you can plan your break from your workplace.
DETAILS OF COURSES
DELIVERABLE 4 (A)
Upon completion of this course work, the candidate will be able to:
- Understand nature and functions of research
- Understand basics of research methods including problem formation, hypothesis/ questions formation, research design, sampling techniques, data collection, analysis and report writing.
- Understand basic APA formatting style to be used for the thesis
- Understand the structure of a scholarly journal manuscript
- Knowledge about ethical practices in research
DELIVERABLE 4 (B)
Advanced Research Methodology
Upon completion of the course work, the candidate will be able to:
- Understand theory formulation.
- Learn concepts of research design.
- Understand fundamentals of data analysis.
- Carry out factor analysis, analysis of variance, multiple regression, modeling, cluster discriminant analysis and structural equation modelling
- Use of MS-Excel, SPSS, AMOS etc. for data analysis
DELIVERABLE 4 (C)
Doctoral Foundation Seminar in General Management
The course contains various modules that cover the fundamentals of various functional areas of management. This course may preferably be taught in the online mode (MOOC).
- Marketing concepts and fundamentals.
- Organisational Behaviour and HRM4Finance & Accounting
- Corporate governance and business ethics
- Corporate strategy and policy
- Business environment
DELIVERABLE 4 (D)
Seminar on Doctoral concentration .
The course will cover the following:
- Recent trends and contemporary issues in the candidate's specialisation
- Identification of the research problem and research topic
- Critical review of the previous research in the area
- Study of the major theories
DELIVERABLE - 5+
Finalization of Research Proposal and approval
This will commence immediately after a candidate successfully completes the course work(i.e. Deliverable 4). A suitable supervisor/guide is allotted to the candidate as a mentor for the PhD research process. The following process will be followed:
- Extensive review of literature under guidance of the thesis guide
- Selection of a topic and alternative topic.
- Preparation of Research Proposal
- Presentation of Research Proposal to Doctoral Review committee (DRC)
- Approval of Research Proposal and commencement of research
DELIVERABLE - 6+
Progress Review Seminars. (Every Six Months)
A minimum of three such seminars presentations will be held at the University campus. The candidate will approach the supervisor for a suitable schedule. The objective of these seminars is to track the progress of the research. One such seminar may be held every six months after the approval of Research Proposal.
DELIVERABLE - 7+
A seminar delivered by the research scholar based on the research work conducted before the final thesis is submitted for evaluation.
DELIVERABLE - 8+
Each doctoral candidate is expected to publish a minimum of one research article in a domain specific referred journal during the entire research period. Progress seminars can be useful to prepare such articles. The candidate also needs to present her/his work in at least two approved academic conferences in India / abroad.
DELIVERABLE - 9+
DELIVERABLE 9 (A)
Final Thesis Submission
Each candidate will submit three copies of thesis for examiners evaluation. These will be accompanied by abstract and summary of the thesis as per detailed guidelines.
DELIVERABLE 9 (B)
Defense of Thesis
In case the thesis is found to meet the University criteria and has been accepted by the examiners, candidates will be informed about the schedule for thesis defense (viva voce).
DELIVERABLE 9 (C)
Award of degree and convocation at the campus.
After successful thesis completion and defense, the degree shall be awarded
ADMISSION CRITERIA AND PROGRAM FEES
The candidates for the program must have one of the following qualifications obtained from any of the universities incorporated by an Act of the central or state legislature India or other educational institutions established by an act of parliament or declared to be deemed as a university under Section 3 of the UGC Act 1956 or possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India or an equivalent qualification from an institution approved by AICTE
A Masters' degree or its equivalent in any discipline with minimum 55% aggregate marks (relaxation for reserved categories as per UGC norms).
Any professional qualification such as CA, ICWA and CS with minimum 55% aggregate marks (for Finance area) where the candidates are also graduates and have a minimum work experience of 3 years
- Should be currently employed in a full-time job
- At least two years of executive/managerial/academic experience in the relevant area as on the date of enrollment
In addition, all the candidates must have secured a minimum of 55% marks in all their public examinations starting with the secondary level.
The application form and supporting eligibility documents will be screened by a screening committee. The short-listed candidates based on their academic record and relevant industry experience will appear in a written test followed by a personal interview for the final selection.
|Course Work Fee 1
|Course Work Fee 2
|Course Work Fee 3
|Doctoral Seminar on Specialisation
|Research Proposal Seminar
|Progress Review Seminars 1
|Progress Review Seminars 1
|Progress Review Seminars 3
|Thesis Submission & Defense