Enroll in an industry-oriented program inspired by UNESCO Model Curricula that focuses on various aspects of Journalism including Print, Electronic and Online Media, complimented with skill-centric, immersive and interactive workshops.
The Indian Media and Entertainment industry is one of the fastest growing industries in the country. Its various segments Film, Television, Advertising, Print and Digital have witnessed a tremendous growth in the last few years. The industry is highly driven by strong consumption in non-metro and small cities, intense emergence of regional media and burgeoning new media businesses and formats.
The program is built on strong theoretical foundation supported by applied research into the dynamics of communication and the creative industries, together, with professional expertise. The School has built close links with national and regional media companies and boasts of an excellent employment and research record. Our Bachelors programs in Mass Communication focus on all aspects of Journalism such as:
- Newspaper & Magazine Print Journalism: The means of delivering news is evolving but the skills required to publish news remain the same. Here, at Chitkara University, the print stream focuses on sound, solid, hard news reporting for newsprint and magazine.
- Television & Radio Broadcast Journalism: Through the Broadcast Journalism program, you will master the best techniques of reporting, writing and editing news stories. You will learn television and radio skills, and to shoot and record interviews.
- Online & Convergence Multimedia Journalism: More media houses are adding online/web to their print and/or broadcast offerings, and updating them regularly. The ‘Convergence’ program of Multimedia combines print and broadcast into online.
The program aims at transforming and nurturing individuals into seasoned professionals. Interaction with Media Industry giants and ample Industry Exposure coupled with our state-of-the-art infrastructure will enable the students with practical hands-on training required for all-round growth in fields like Anchoring or Emceeing, News Reading & Reporting, Editing, Camera Handling, etc. The curriculum has been infused with value-aided courses designed in consultation with veterans from the Media Industry to give our students a leading edge and optimum placement deserved. Our path-breaking program offers a plethora of job opportunities with blue chip companies and multinationals. Some of the roles that graduates can explore are:
- Advertising/Marketing – Advertising & Promotions Manager, Brand Manager, Copywriter, Marketing Analyst, etc.
- Business – Corporate Relations Officer, Communications Trainer, Media Relations Specialist, etc.
- Media/Broadcasting – Announcer, Art Director/Producer, Graphic Designer, Presenter, Station Manager, etc.
- Public Relations – Media Planner, Publicity Manager, Special Events Coordinator, News Writer, etc.
- Journalism/Publishing – Reporter, Editor, Newscaster, Sports Information Director, Media Interviewer, etc.
- Community Relations – Health Communications Analyst, Activities Director, Fundraiser, Human Rights Officer, Mediator, Counsellor, etc.
- Politics/Government – Speech Writer, Campaign Director, Lobbyist, Elected Official, Public Information Officer, etc.
- International Relations – Foreign Correspondent, Diplomat, Foreign Relations Officer, Translator, etc.
Some of the major companies who recruit our graduates are:
The Journalism and Mass Communication Undergraduate program is aimed at providing holistic knowledge, on a theoretical as well as practical level, to the students. Our extensive course is evenly-balanced and carefully curated to offer comprehensive fundamental training in different fields of Mass Communication – Print Journalism, Television and Radio Production, Advertising and Public Relations, Event Management, Social Media, and Film Studies. Applied skills such as image building, different styles of writing, editing and working with layout software, audio-video editing techniques are also covered.
The program delivery is tailored to meet the needs of different fields of Media. It comprises a good mix of formal lectures, seminars, computer-based learning, individual and group project work, guest lectures and industry training. The focus of the program is to nurture socially responsible media professionals, backed with the latest inputs from industry, well-trained faculty along with state-of-the-art infrastructure.
UNESCO Model Curricula
The curriculum structure for all our academic programs in Journalism have been inspired and adapted from the UNESCO Model Curricula for Journalism Education. The foundation of the curriculum is designed to promote:
- An ability to think critically, incorporating skill in comprehension, analysis, synthesis and evaluation of unfamiliar material, and a basic understanding of evidence and research methods.
- An ability to write clearly and coherently using narrative, descriptive and analytical methods.
- A knowledge of national and international political, economic, cultural, religious and social institutions.
- A knowledge of current affairs and issues and a general knowledge of history and geography.
- A television studio with four-digital video cameras, teleprompters and professional lights besides other equipment.
- A Production Control Room that allows the students to do news bulletins and live interviews with audio/digital console.
- An Editing lab armed with iMac Machines loaded with Final Cut Pro and an assemblage of software to match the process.
- The radio broadcasting branch with facility of live broadcast armed with radio studio and relevant editing software.
- Lessons in Print Journalism include knowledge of desktop Editing, Copy Editing, Feature Writing and Field Reporting.
- Layout designing (Quark Xpress on both Microsoft Windows and Apple iMac), Adobe Photoshop and Coral Draw.
- The Library offers subject specific books and papers, along with a wide range of national and international dailies.