Nursing students made aware about the importance of organ donation
Chitkara College of Nursing organised an expert talk for nursing students on ‘Organ Donation’. The talk was delivered by Mohan Organ Donation Foundation.
To create public awareness among a cross-section of the population, the talk stressed upon the following aspects:
- To train health care professionals in transplant coordination
- To counsel families of “brain dead” victims to donate their loved ones’ organs
- To create a computerized network for logistic support for organ donation in hospitals and the utilization of organs
- To liaise with Government (State and Central) to pass favorable legislation that will help increase organ donations in India
- Networking with other organ procuring organizations in the country
- Raising resources to promote organ donation efficiently
Mohan Foundation is a not-for-profit, non-governmental organization started to promote organ donation. It stressed upon the importance of organ donation act and the Government of India passed this act in 1994 to broaden the concept of organ donation and stop commercial dealings in organs, especially kidneys. It is now possible to not only donate one’s eyes, but also other vital organs like the heart, lungs, liver, pancreas and kidneys.
The talk was found interesting and informative by the nursing students who have now pledged to take the message ahead.