Capt. Prabhat Nigam
Designation- Director cum Principal (Extra Master, B.Sc, M.B.A. (S&LM), F.C.M.M.I. , M.I.C.S. (U.K.))+
Captain Prabhat Nigam is the Director in Chitkara University and heads its School of Maritime Studies.
He is a well-known personality in the maritime industry and has many accolades to his name. He began his maritime career by joining prestigious Training Ship ‘Rajendra’ in the year 1981.
After a Sea Career of almost 25 years he finally hung his sailing boots in 2006.
During his sailing career he was in command of all kind of ships namely, VLCC’s (Very Large Crude Carrier), Product & Chemical tankers, Car Carriers and Passenger liners.
In his 14 years ashore, he has been closely associated with QHSSE, Auditing and MET (Maritime Education & Training).
He is a Lead Auditor of ISO 9001, 14001, 45001, ISM and ISPS.
Before joining Chitkara University, he was working as the Group General Manager (Training) for ASP Ship Management , H.Q.’s in Melbourne and present in 8 countries across the world.
He was also actively involved in the establishment and development of two premium maritime training institutes in India and headed one of the Institutes as its Captain Superintendent and MR.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- He was the Examiner for Mates & Masters with (Directorate General of Shipping).
- As a member of the Board of Technical committee of IR Class, he contributes actively in the proceedings of the Indian Register of Shipping.
- He is in the team of several ambitious projects under Ministry of Shipping – GOI and is presently involved in developing the Maritime Traffic Lanes including TSS & VTMS on the coast of India.
- He is consultant to several Maritime bodies & unions such as DNV-GL, IRS, MUI and is on the board of CMC College, SEI Edu trust etc.
- He is an eloquent speaker and a prolific writer. He has published several papers and authored books on Oil, Chemical & Gas tanker training. His work on ECDIS and E-Navigation is widely appreciated in the industry.
- He is very popular amongst young mariners and regularly interacts with them through his 2nd Mates Forum on FB & TOP NOTCH on WhatsApp.
- In 2011 he had conceived the idea of bringing able maritime trainers together and formed a “MARITIME TRAINERS GUILD”. The guild today is widely accepted all over India and its work is much appreciated by the industry.
- He is Fellow and warden of the Court of ‘Company of Master Mariners of India’ and heads the R&D wing of CMMI.
PAPERS & PROJECTS
- Papers presented at ‘MTG’ on “Bridging the gap in training.”, “Digitalising the Maritime Training”, “COVID 19: A Challenge & Opportunity for METAC.”
- Paper on “IMPACT OF AI on MARITIME INDUSTRY” at INMARCO.
- Papers presented at various CMMI forums last being on “Maritime Traffic Lanes on the coast of India.”
- Various presentations; predominantly being MARPOL, MLC 2006, Media Handling, Regulatory updates, EUMRV, BWMS, SEEMP and TMSA (changes).
Captain Nigam is ‘Extra Master’, holds an honors degree in Nautical Science, MBA in Shipping & Logistics Management, Member of the Institute of Chartered Ship Brokers, UK and is currently pursuing PhD in Nautical Studies from IMU.
Mr. Tirlochan Singh
Designation – Marine Faculty+
Mr. Tirlochan Singh completed his 4 years Marine Engineering from MERI (Marine Engineering and Research Institute), Kolkata in 1991 and joined Shipping Corporation of India as 5th Engineer.
He is a professional with over 22 years of experience which include day to day Operations, Maintenance & Repairs on merchant vessels.
After sailing as a Chief Engineer on several ships, he stopped sailing in 2014 to pursue his career further on land. He worked as Technical Manager and consultant for Data Management at Vertex Infosoft Solutions for two years.
Since 2018 he has been working as Auditor & Consultant for ISF Maritime & Offshore Institute, Mumbai.
In November 2019 he joined Chitkara University and has played a major role in setting up the School of Maritime Studies.
He is an expert in following subjects:
- Tanker Operations
- Engine Room Resource Management & Leadership Skills
- Marine Auxiliary Machinery
His vast practical experience on Tankers will help cadets to fulfil their stringent professional requirements of the present day shipping companies.
Capt. Amarvir Singh Saran
Designation – H.O.D. B.Sc. Nautical Studies+
Capt. Amarvir Singh Saran
Master Mariner F.G., Maritime Arbitrator, F.N.M.I.S., F.I.C.A., LM.M.T.G
H.O.D. B.Sc. Nautical Studies
School Of Maritime Studies
- Sailed as a Master, in command of Merchant Ships, from 1998 to 2004 on Vessels of various size tramping world wide and transporting different types of diversified cargoes. Fellow of Narottam Morarjee Institute of shipping, Mumbai (F.N.M.I.S), and Fellow of Indian Council of Arbitration(F.I.C.A.) and Life Member of ICA. Also a Life Member of Mariner’s Training Guild.
- Well conversant with commercial shipping matters including Charterparties, Bills of Lading, Sale/Purchase contracts involving sea transport, shipping documentation etc.
- Recipient of Khanoji Angre Memorial Award for standing 2nd in the subject of “Geography of Sea Transport” in the Associateship examination and in the subject of “Risk Management & Marine Insurance” in the Fellowship examination held by the Narottam Morarjee Institute of shipping, Mumbai on all India basis.
- Worked in various commercial shipping establishments such as J.M.Baxi & Co., Maersk Broker India Pvt Ltd, Globus Marine Services etc and Director of Ray Shipping Pvt Ltd. And in active Broking / Chartering for at least !5 years. Guiding/imparting knowledge/grooming the junior staff and fresh MBA’s in becoming future effective and fruitful Brokers in Commercial Shipping.
- Well versed with chartering negotiations and charter parties. Developed the Clean & chemical segments in Tanker and Fertilizer, Coal and Ironore segment, amongst various other commodities in Dry and have been in close network & dialogue with major owners for covering Indian govt & private charterer’s cargoes.Worked on small size, handy size, Handymax and Panamax size and also Cape size cargoes offering for govt and pvt cargoes and involved in negotiating and fixing for Indian Govt and Pvt Chrts. Covered Liner and Break Bulk segments also, having been involved in offering, negotiating and fixing for Indian chrtrs. Have been closely involved in the operations and post-fixtures activities besides training the junior staff
- Dynamic and competent to multi-task effectively and adapt to various fast changing circumstances and take decisions accordingly. Highly motivated team player having excellent inter-personal skills with extensive experience of working with international teams in high pressure situations constantly delivering results. Have extensive knowledge and expertise of operating Dry Bulk Carriers in international demanding markets of present times. Have excellent commercial & Analytical skill with In depth knowledge and experience in the commercial aspects of shipping. In-depth knowledge of the legislative framework for operation of vessels especially handy and handymax size dry bulk carriers. Experienced in Dry Bulk broking & chartering and fully understand all aspects of Chartering of chartering and post fixture operations. Have performed to the highest international standards and constantly able to deliver in pressure situations. Have worked with highly reputed employers and have in-depth knowledge of the working and implications of quality systems. Effective visionary with leadership, communication, & organizing skills matched with the Ability to manage stress, time and people effectively for creative solutions. Experience in strategic planning & timely implementation. Wide exposure to decision making at senior management level.
Mr. Jasjeet Suri
Designation – Course In Charge GP Rating+
Jasjeet Suri completed his 4 years of Marine Engineering from MERI (Marine Engineering and Research Institute), Kolkata in 1995 and joined Seaarland Shipping as 5th Engineer. He cleared his MEO Class I in 2001 and got promoted to Chief Engineer in 2004. He has sailed throughout with Seaarland Shipping, on a variety of vessels i.e. Crude Oil Tankers, Product Tankers, Chemical Tankers and Bulk Carriers. He was appointed as Training Chief Engineer with them in 2006.
In Jan 2019, he took on an additional Role as Motivational Speaker: – Started conducting various free Motivational Lectures and Workshops for Educational Institutes and other organizations in Tri-city.
He was felicitated with the Mayor’s Award on the occasion of this 73rd Independence Day, for the same.
He is an expert in following subjects:
- Automation and Control Systems
- Practical Electrical & Electronic circuits
- Marine Auxiliary Machines
Capt. Ajay Bhardwaj
Designation- Co I/C STCW Courses+
Capt. Ajay Bhardwaj has joined in Chitkara University, School of Maritime Studies in July 2020. He did his pre sea course from The Maritime Training Institute, Powai, Mumbai in 1990 and started his sea career with The Shipping Corporation of India, sailed in various ranks in Foreign shipping companies and passed Master (Foreign Going) in April 2000.
He has about 25 years of sailing experience. He has two years of teaching experience.
Capt. Ajay Bhardwaj has a wide experience on Oil Tankers, Crude Oil Tanker vessels. Got his first command with Great Eastern Shipping in the year April 2004.
He is expert in following subjects:
- Ship Operation Technology – I
- Oil Tanker operations
- STCW courses
Mr. Ravi Kant Talwar
( Visiting Faculty )+
Education and Certifications:
- B.E. Mechanical (Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology in 1976)
- GME (ONE YEAR) DMET, MUMBAI 1979-1980
- First class MOT (Motor) MMD, MUMBAI 1987
- Over 40 years of experience in shipping (18 as Chief Engineer)
- 30 years of sailing experience with international companies like MSC, GEARBULK – Bergen Fleet, BSM
- Sailed on various ships like Cargo/Containers/Forest Product Carrier/Bulk Carriers with gantry cranes/Survey Vessel/ Passenger Ships/ Tankers (VLCC and ULCC) and vast expertise in operation and maintenance of ship machinery.
Mr. Saurabh Sambyal
Designation – Admin I/C & QMS Coordinator+
Saurabh Sambyal completed his 4 years of Marine Engineering from Tolani Maritime Institute, Pune in 2013 and joined Mitsui O.S.K Lines as 5th Engineer. He has sailed throughout with Mitsui O.S.K Lines, on a variety of vessels i.e. Containers, Car Carriers and Bulk Carriers.
As Marine Engineer he has wide exposure to the day to day operation of various machineries and systems onboard which will be very helpful for the young candidates. He has been an enthusiastic learner and quite expert on maintenance, troubleshooting and repairs on various equipment such as Marine Engines, Diesel Generators, Marine Boilers, Purifiers etc. He has a profound knowledge of electrical and control systems.
He is an approved ISO Internal Auditor (by IRS) and an expert in Quality Management System.
He has worked as a PMS Engineer in Vertex Infosoft Pvt Limited.
In addition to the above, he has played an important role in the stratup of an Online Platform – LalaKart.
Mr. Mohan Singh
Designation – Seamanship Instructor+
Mohan Singh has sailed in various ranks for nine years on different types of Merchant Ships.
His vast practical experience on bulk carriers, containers and general cargo ship will help cadets learn many marine practices and seamanship skills. This will prepare them professionally to tackle various situation onboard ships and meet all requirements of the present day shipping companies.
He is an expert in
- Seamanship Practices
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
- Personal Survival Techniques.
Mr. Nahar Singh
Designation – STCW Instructor +
Nahar Singh has served the Indian Navy for 30 years, with vast experience in working in different classes of Indian Naval Ships ranging from Aircraft Carriers, Survey Ships to the LPD Class.His 17 years of onboard ship experience would be helpful to cadets in learning and developing seamanship skills and marine practices. With his expertise in operations and logistics, training and management, they will be equipped with the required knowledge to handle tasks and
situations pertaining to onboard operations and shipping in a professional setting.
He is an expert in
- Seamanship practices
- Training instruction
- Fire fighting and damage control
- Underwater Diving
- Sea Survival techniques