3-Year Diploma in Civil Engineering
Civil Engineering is one of the ancient Engineering disciplines that deals with design, construction, maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment. To ensure safe, secure and modern structure for human rehabilitation becomes one of the core objectives of Civil Engineering Domain. At its core, it deals with 3 of the natural resources available such as Air, Water & Land extensively.
The fast growing India’s population presents innumerable problems in personal and public housing & commercial complex systems. This coupled with growing environment & green house gas laws bring unimaginable level of complexity to today’s construction
industry. Secondly, growing population & economy of India brings urbanization and enabled construction industries grow multifold in last 2 decades. The demand for Civil Engineers is on rise and soon to become major choice for any aspirants to have wonderful
career. It’s a powerful career choice that demands good problem-solving skills and an eye for detail. The job itself has a complete construction site & soil focus.
The Diploma in Civil Engineering at Chitkara Polytechnic will focus on:
- Construction Engineering (Construction management)
- Public Health Engineering (Fresh & Waste Water Engineering)
Around the world, changing geographical demographics are putting pressure on the planet’s most precious resource – WATER. This is increasing the demand for skilled engineering technologists, who have specialized knowledge and expertise in water resource management. How our society uses water in the years ahead will impact every sector—business, industry, agriculture, recreation and government.
India has 16% of world’s population and has just 4% of fresh water resources of the available water footprint on earth. In recent years, India has emerged as one of the fastest growing economies of the world. Most projections suggest that India is heading towards becoming the worlds 3rd largest economy by 2050. Water is one variable that could halt India’s march to economic greatness. By 2050, India might have only half the water it needs. If you want to make a difference in combating this pressing global problem, as innovators of water- friendly products, systems and services to improve quality of life, Our program in Civil Engineering will put you on the right track.
Our 3-Year Diploma in Civil Engineering also prepares you to pursue further studies leading to undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications from reputed local and foreign universities.
Some of the key student-learning outcomes for the Diploma in Civil Engineering are as follows:
- Apply knowledge and technical expertise in building, analyzing, testing, operating and maintaining civil, green water, grey water and associated green technologies, including relevant industry standards and code of practices
- To do maintenance, repair and production of plumbing, sanitation & water resources equipment and its systems
- Procure, inspect and test civil and plumbing Engineering materials
- To do industrial installation, laying pipes, installing different types of pumps with their accessories, wiring, testing of control & automation circuits
- Preparing estimates of different kinds of jobs in domestic plumbing, industrial plumbing in transmission and distribution systems to install, erect and commission the water (fresh/waste) system
- Designing water supply schemes for domestic and industry installation and drawing layouts for piping & building automation
- Apply knowledge and technical expertise in designing, building, analyzing, testing, operating and maintaining civil, soil & construction systems, aggregates and components as per laid out instructions
- To do maintenance, repair and management of construction sites, soils and other properties
- Procure, inspect and test engineering materials related to civil construction engineering
- Preparing estimates of different kinds of jobs relating to new construction, site/colony development & maintenance of existing properties
- The Diploma in Civil Engineering program is a 3-Years full time program offered by Chitkara Polytechnic, constituent institution of Chitkara University, Punjab.
- This program is offered in collaboration with IPSC (Indian Plumbing Skills Council) being very unique offer bring complete blend of seasoned learning with best of the partner bringing industry support (Public Health Engineering Specialization)
- The specialization of construction engineering & management part of civil engineering is offered in guidance with CIDC (Construction Industry Development Council) & CSDC (Construction Skill Development Council) to bring best of the practices & learning followed by the industry
- There are 5 academic semesters and last semester is solely dedicated to Intensive Industry Internship Program.
- Academic framework lays strong emphasize on learning through hands on. Courses in foundation, technology and advanced technology feature state of the art lab infrastructure enable this without any hassles
- Subjects carry full industry focus to ensure student stays connected with real working atmosphere all the time by means of live projects and active site visits
- To get further ahead, you will work on latest cutting edge lab, which not only simulates the real-time, but also makes you cope up with field situations.
YEAR – 1
- Provides excellent foundation for the 1st Year diploma with emphasis on foundation science courses
- Intensive focus on developing communication skills, which makes students equipped for better learning
- Foundation skill gives hands on learning in underground pipe laying, construction of man holes and inspection spots
- 2nd part of year allows students to learn basic courses in Electrical & Electricity backed by full hands-on experience in state of the art labs
YEAR – 2
- Introduces students to the basic Civil environment with surveying & concrete technology and also plumbing codes, standards, work place preparation techniques, water supply (plumbing) in domestic & industrial area
- In addition, allowing students to read & prepare plumbing/building schematics, laying pipes and also applying concepts learned through cold water, hot water supply and wastewater disposal
- Students learn advanced surveying, soil mechanics, concrete technology, structural Engineering subjects, which adds adequate flavor of construction engineering to the incumbent
- In addition, students learn water supply functioning, design of drainage systems, sewage treatment plants including water recycling methods in actual. Student also learns advance piping layout schematics applied at large construction sites, commercial and industrial projects
- Later part of the year, students learn advance piping for domestic and industrial environment for better conservation of water
YEAR – 3
- Brings altogether new focus of learning in water domain by focusing majorly in rain, storm water management, study, application & implementation of water based fire protection systems for high-rise complexes
- Students get opportunity to learn and work on centralized heating systems using water as primary fuel and also works on advanced climate control chambers
- In addition, students learn green building practices to save energy and to bring best recycling practices in domestic & industrial shelters
- With the acquaintance of knowledge in civil, construction, soil, structural, water and in sanitation domains, students will undergo focused intensive industry internship program, which makes students to practices all the core learning in real life industry environment
- Students will also prepare a major technical project, which demonstrates his learning and capability to be part of blue chip companies across the world
Major focus is laid in creating best in class lab & workshop infrastructure, which makes blended learning possible and the lab is equipped with advanced structural equipments from TOTO, Hindware, Viega, Grundfos, Duravit & Ashirvad and complete layout from IPSC. This allows deeper conceptual learning by simulating real time industry environment part of public health Engineering
Drinking water supply lab (Storing, RO & Hygienic Supply) Industrial water supply lab (Storing, Supply & Disposal)
|Sewage system lab
||Public toilet infrastructure
|Domestic house infrastructure
||Modern flat infrastructure
|Disabled toilet infrastructure
||Hospital toilet infrastructure
|Brick building & sceptic tank construction
||Drainage demo infrastructure
||Shower system labs
|Structure and Construction lab
||Simple VFD infra
|Hydraulics and fluid machinery lab
||Modern VFD & Rain flow infra
|Strength of materials lab
|Concrete and highway lab
|Environmental engineering lab
- Individual cubes to allow students to lay piping, fittings and install Cistern, wash basins and toilets (Conventional & Western Style)
- Space with all connections in place to conduct final certification assessments
- Open area (Roof & Floor) for construction and underground exercises
- Fitting workshop with all amenities
- Welding workshop with all amenities
- Height adjustable platforms up to 30 feet to allow students to work on various heights
- Basic electrical & electronics workshop
- Fire protection system workshop
- Central heating with various temperature control chambers simulation workshop
- AC – 3 phase power supply (Uninterrupted)
- 64 KW back up generator
- Drinking water storage pump house (Booster)
- Industrial water storage pump house (Booster)
- Sewerage forced disposal (Pump)
- RO set up
- Rain/storm water storage tank
- Industrial water disposal set-up
- Sewage Treatment Plant (STP)
IPSC is a company incorporated under Section 25 of the Indian Companies Act 1956. The Indian Plumbing Industry faces the mammoth challenge of huge gap between the supply of skilled workforce and the demand of skilled workforce.
Plumbing industry, since a long time has been awaiting an opportunity to skill its workforce, and through the mandate of the National Skills Development Corporation (NSDC) has got an excellent opportunity to train its workforce with the latest skills, technology and best
practices in the Industry.
The IPSC acts as an accrediting and certifying body; and will work to fill the gap of skilled and unskilled workforce in India. For this purpose, we are partnering associations and organizations, which share it vision, and work to upgrade the skills deficit in the plumbing (water resources) industry.
The 11th five-year plan stressed the need to improve the skill level across all the sectors in the Indian Industry; this laid the foundation of the National Skills Development Corporation (NSDC). IPSC is the SSC for the plumbing industry in India to cater to its specific needs and demands.
IPSC as principle collaboration industry body takes responsibility of bringing industry-blended curriculum, subject contents, pedagogy advocacy, faculty training, and establishment of state of the art lab infrastructure, which makes learning truly world class. In addition IPSC will also facilitate intensive internship, assessment of students and certification from Ministry of Labor, which is globally recognized. What more, subject matter experts (SME’s) from IPSC & from allied industry will be there in Chitkara Polytechnic to oversee delivery of the program for quality, consistency and to bring special emphasize in hands on industry driven practical’s.
Given below are some of the companies, which have huge requirement of Civil Engineers. At Chitkara Polytechnic we are collaborating with major blue chip companies so that you can start your career with flying colors.
Many of the world’s largest construction and engineering companies including L&T, HCC, Technip, GMR Infrastructure, Shapoorji Pallonji & Co. and Gammon Infra regularly visit our campus for recruitments.:
- Building Engineering & Services
- Water Resources Engineering
- Renewable Water Resources Management
- Facility Management
- Operations Management
- Sustainable Design & Solutions
- Clean Energy
- Research & Development
3-Year Diploma in Civil Engineering program is recognized nationally and internationally. After completing the diploma, you can also enter the 2nd year of B.Tech degree through the lateral entry in Engineering institutions across the country.