About Bombay Stock Exchange
BSE Ltd. is the first stock exchange that came into existence in Asia. What is now popularly known as BSE Ltd. was established as “The Native Stock Brokers’ Association” in 1875. BSE Ltd. is the first to be granted permanent recognition under the Securities Contract Regulation Act, 1956.
Over the past 138 years, BSE Ltd. has facilitated growth of the Indian corporate sector by providing it with an efficient capital raising platform. It boasts of the following:
- It is world’s biggest bourse, in terms of listed companies
- It is India’s biggest stock exchange in terms of market capitalization
- BSE Ltd. has played a pioneering role in the development of the Indian securities market
- At par with international standards, BSE Ltd. has been a pioneer in several areas:
- First in India to introduce Equity Derivatives
- First in India to launch a Free Float Index
- First in India to launch US$ version of BSE Ltd.
- First in India to launch Exchange Enabled Internet Trading Platform
- First in India to obtain ISO certification for a stock exchange – ‘BSE On-Line Trading System’ (BOLT) has been awarded the globally recognized Information Security Management System standard BS7799-2:200
- First to have an exclusive facility for financial training
- First in India in the financial services sector to launch its website in Hindi and Gujarati
- Shifted from Open Outcry to Electronic Trading within just 50 days
- First bell-ringing ceremony in the history of the Indian capital markets (listing ceremony
of Bharti Televentures Ltd. on February 18, 2002)
- It is BSE Ltd’s pride that almost every leading corporate in India has sourced its services in capital raising and is listed with BSE Ltd.
- It’s BSE Index, S&P BSE SENSEX, is India’s first and most popular Stock Market benchmark index
- BSE Ltd., as a brand, has been and is synonymous with the capital market in India. Its S&P BSE SENSEX reflects the health of the Indian economy.